After flatpak update, Steam UI is broken

The latest flatpak update I did pulled in a new Steam runtime. With this new runtime, Steam starts but the UI is broken. The Store and Library tabs are blank. The downloads window does show current downloads, if any. This makes it impossible to play any games in flatpak Steam.

FWIW, this was fixed by having Steam manually check for updates. After a new Steam runtime was downloaded through the flatpak update, the Steam UI was broken as mentioned in the original post, and every time Steam started it did not ask to install any updates. I ended up checking for updates manually, and an update was downloaded and installed; upon restart, Steam works appropriately.

It looks like Valve has changed the Steam UI again, and I think that this change combined with the flatpak steam binary update led to this broken state, in which it was not even automatically checking for updates as it usually does.

Hi. I’m new to flatpak. I’ve successfully installed and been running 3 or 4 different programs, but something’s gone wrong when I tried to install Steam, and I’m not sure how to correct the issue. If anyone has any insights they’d be willing to share, I’d be happy to hear them. Thanks in advance.

• after attempting to install Steam the first time I ended up with a Steam icon but nothing happened after trying to click it.
  • I did a flatpak - list followed by a flatpak uninstall com.valvesoftware.Steam, and followed that by reinstalling flatpak Steam

After trying to run Steam following the reinstall I’m getting the following error message, and I’m really not sure how to try and move forward after already attempting a fresh install. I’m not enough of a Linux expert to interpret the error message I’m receiving.

Thoughts?