Building a flatpak - app configuration file

I’m building my first Flatpak.
My app uses a configuration file (lvnauth.conf) to store user settings, such as color preferences.

My question is: how can I make Flatpak not overwrite the configuration file each time my app has a new version? The problem I’m trying to avoid is replacing the user’s preferences on each new version of my Flatpak app.

I’m trying to get a clear picture as to what happens when a Flatpak app updates to a newer version of my app. Will it overwrite all the files to the newest version or just some files? What is the ideal way of dealing with configuration files?

Where is this configuration file? You can create a user config file at runtime in XDG_CONFIG_HOME (which will be inside ~/.var/app/) and flatpak will not touch it. It will work exactly the same as a native app. If, however, you create the file as e.g. ~/.lvnauth/lvnauth.conf, it will be lost on exit unless you make it --persist.

There’s nothing equivalent to /etc. You can install a file somewhere like /app/etc, but it would not be editable and would update with the app.

The configuration file is currently in /app/bin/lvnauth.conf, but I’ll start using XDG_CONFIG_HOME
Thanks.