Building openssl on F36 misses GLIBC_2.38

Is this because I’m building on F36 and I should be building this on something…newer? Or is this the Platform//23.08 glibc version that I’m battling?

Running: make install_sw
FB: Running: flatpak build --die-with-parent --env=FLATPAK_BUILDER_BUILDDIR=/run/build/openssl --nofilesystem=host:reset --filesystem=/home/jreynolds/btbits/x64_btbits/tools/flatpak/ct_flatpak_py3-10/.flatpak-buil
der/build/openssl-1 --bind-mount=/run/build/openssl=/home/jreynolds/btbits/x64_btbits/tools/flatpak/ct_flatpak_py3-10/.flatpak-builder/build/openssl-1 --build-dir=/run/build/openssl --bind-mount=/run/ccache=/home/
jreynolds/btbits/x64_btbits/tools/flatpak/ct_flatpak_py3-10/.flatpak-builder/ccache --env=SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=1717621151 '--env=CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -g -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions -fst
ack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer ' '--env=CXXFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -g -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERT
IONS -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer ' '--env=LDFLAGS=-L/app/lib -Wl,-z,relro,-z,now -Wl,--
as-needed ' --env=CCACHE_DIR=/run/ccache/disabled --env=PATH=/app/bin:/usr/bin --env=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/app/lib --env=PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/app/lib/pkgconfig:/app/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig -
-env=FLATPAK_BUILDER_N_JOBS=24 /home/jreynolds/btbits/x64_btbits/tools/flatpak/ct_flatpak_py3-10/.flatpak-builder/rofiles/rofiles-ymscIO /bin/sh -c 'make install_sw'
flatpak: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by libcrypto.so.3)

This question is irrelevant and transpire a misunderstanding of what flatpak provides and how it works.

tl;dr the build is indenpendant of the host system.

Well, building a copy of OpenSSL wouldn’t be useful so long as there’s a way I can make sure I have a version of Python in the flatpak of my choosing. I don’t see flatpaks on flathub that provide this.

I want to find a way to bundle a version of python and a vitual environment (a series of pip packages) so I can run scripts on the host. What would you suggest I do to accomplish this?

I did that in the kodi flatpak at some time, as we needed to pin python to a certain version.

So you should be able to use the freedesktop runtime and just build and link against a python you provide.

1 Like

@razzeee that is a helpful comment, thanks. My flatpak build does go further when I remove the openssl build module before python.