DaVinci Resolve Flatpak request

Project information: DaVinci Resolve 16 is the world’s only solution that combines professional 8K editing, color correction, visual effects and audio post production all in one software tool! You can instantly move between editing, color, effects, and audio with a single click. DaVinci Resolve Studio is also the only solution designed for multi user collaboration so editors, assistants, colorists, VFX artists and sound designers can all work live on the same project at the same time! Whether you’re an individual artist, or part of a large collaborative team, it’s easy to see why DaVinci Resolve is the standard for high end post production and finishing on more Hollywood feature films, television shows and commercials than any other software.

Name: DaVinci Resolve
Homepage: blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
License:
Upstream has been contacted: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/search.php?keywords=flatpak&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

2 Likes

Two problems with this one:

1. you need to register to download
  2. the archive is an installer that seem to require X11. Back then I couldn’t figure out a way to make it work.

(it is possible that things have changed though, it was last year)

I tried packaging this a couple of months ago but there are a couple of issues blocking it.
The first one is it seems that we need some 32bit libs and 32bit glibc but KDE runtime devs broke the i386 compat and they don’t seem to care about it, and we need Qt5.

The second and more complex problem is that you need proper OpenCL support and the app might still require specifically the proprietary binary drivers, so no Mesa OpenCL implementation, and it does not support Intel at all. I’m not even sure this works with AMD.
Without OpenCL the app will not even start.

Because of the first issue, and the lack of response from KDE devs, I lost interest in this.
Also, I’m not installing the Nvidia binary **** on my host.

1 Like

I started a DaVinci Resolve Flatpak here:

This works for me here with Free & Studio. Since this requires commercial code I don’t know how to submit it to Flathub wrt licensing. But - anyone who is interested is welcome to fork and take ownership and drive this forward.

2 Likes

you can’t submit to flathub without being able to download the package, which the current manifest doesn’t do.

FWIW the AUR gods circumvented the registering process, so we could base the flatpak on their work and credit them PKGBUILD - aur.git - AUR Package Repositories

I don’t think this can be made to work even with extra-data.

The download seems fixed. I am struggling with getting Resolve to work with my AMD GPU. There is quite some engagement lately on this flatpak like the added licence … Basically all the required pieces are now out there. Please someone wrap this up and bring it to flathub.

It’s not.

build-options:
      build-args:
        - --share=networ

this is not allowed on the flathub builders.

Really fantastic work @pobthebuilder ! I successfully built a DaVinci Resolve Studio flatpak, installed it, and am happily running it.

If Flathub policies won’t allow this to be published, perhaps it’s time to start looking for an alternative host for these flatpaks.

1 Like