How do I install Kdenlive on a chromebook?

Hi, I just tried following a video about installing Kdenlive on Chromebook, but when I go to the launcher and try and open Kdenlive, it doesn’t open. Anyone know how to properly install Kdenlive on a Chromebook?
Thanks,
Dan

First do Chrome OS Flathub Setup | Flathub

then go to Install Kdenlive on Linux | Flathub and install

i don’t know about kdenlive - if it’s just using disk and screen, it may work.

kdenlive can be a little wonky even on ole ubuntu.

but i waited 6 years to get access to my usb midi devices on chromeos - the linux container won’t let you list them or use them. soooo i threw away my chromebox. i’m much happier with real linux.

You can install normal linux on chromebooks see Turning Chromebooks into regular laptops - media.ccc.de

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I had watched another video and hit a snag. I did try your installation and still it wasn’t working. I did email the creator of the video, Chrom OS Made Simple, and he responded with a fix and it worked. Thanks again for your speedy response.

Please document what you did, here

Sure.

First, I went to YouTube and watched this video: How to install Kdenlive on a Chromebook in 2023 (dated 2/9/23) https://youtu.be/L6765lUQn8E?si=mXHFW3v6D4lbY4c4 and followed the instructions which were:

I put these in the address bar:

chrome://flags/#crostini-gpu-support
Then, clicked the drop-down and selected Enabled

chrome://flags/#scheduler-configuration
Then clicked the drop-down and selected Enable Hyper-Threading on relevant CPU’s

I clicked the Restart button to re-boot the chromebook

I enabled Linux by going to Systems setting, Advanced, Developers, and cliked Turn ON button for Linux Developers Environment

I clicked Next and Install to install Linux

I went to the launcher and opened Terminal and used the following commands in this order and clicked enter after each one:

1. sudo apt update
  2. sudo apt install flatpak
  3. sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub
  4. https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
  5. sudo flatpak install flathub org.kde.kdenlive
  6. sudo chown root:root /usr/bin/bwrap && sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/bwrap

When I went to the launcher, I saw the Kdenlive icon, but when I pressed it, it blinked, but did not open up Kdenlive.

I left a message for the person, Chrome OS Made Simple, who created the video and let them know I was having trouble. The gave me the following to input in the terminal:

flatpak run org.kde.kdenlive

I tried it and it didn’t work. I sent them screen shots of what the terminal said.

They came back and suggested I run this command:

flatpak run --env=QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland org.kde.kdenlive

It did work and asked if there was some way to get it where I could click an icon on my screen.

They said I’d have to re-install based on the newest video: How to install Kdenlive 23.08.4 on a Chromebook (dated 2/11/24) https://youtu.be/pZyCK2rHRik?si=crZ33BBJ3uwDRdnX

I had already enabled Linux, so I didn’t need to do that again, although the video walks you through that process in the beginning.

These are the commands from that video

1. sudo apt update
  2. sudo apt install kmenuedit fuse libnss3
  3. wget https://download.kde.org/stable/kdenlive/23.08/linux/kdenlive-23.08.4-x86_64-A.AppImage
  4. chmod 755 kdenlive-23.08.4-x86_64-A.AppImage
  5. ./kdenlive-23.08.4-x86_64-A.AppImage
  6. kmenuedit

It worked! The program opened and I had an icon in the launcher I could pin to my shelf at the bottom of my screen and click and the program would open.

I hope this has been helpful and what you were asking for. I know this may have been overly detailed, but I am not a techie.

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

I understand chromos tries to tell you it can do real thing but come on

Install a real linux on this chromebook and forget chromeOS

Thanks for the comment. As a non-techie, a week ago, Linux wasn’t part of my regular vocabulary. I misspelled it as Linus a couple of times and realized that was the peanuts character on Charlie Brown. I wouldn’t know how to install a “real Linux” or what advantage there would be as the programs I was interested in installing, Kdenlive and Audacity, I now have.