How to use apps installed by Flatpak by default in Ubuntu?

Hi!

I have Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS. There is Firefox 88.0 installed by apt in my system. I have just installed Firefox 107.0 in Flatpak. It runs via command-line. Now I have two versions of FF.

I would like to use Firefox 107.0 installed by Flatpak by default: run it via Ubuntu start menu, associate with it html-files and so on. Also I want to import settings of my old Fifefox to FF 107.0 installed by Flatpak: cookies, bookmarks, passwords etc.

How can I do it?

I would like to use Firefox 107.0 installed by Flatpak by default

Also I want to import settings of my old Fifefox to FF 107.0 installed by Flatpak: cookies, bookmarks, passwords etc.

Thank you!

I have set the Flatpak Firefox as the default web browser. But I can’t import settings of my old Fifefox to it. I tried to copy the profile folder from the old FF to the Flatpak FF, but nothing changed. Also I tried to set the profile folder of the old FF as a my profile folder in the Flatpak FF. But I can’t browse it by my Flatpak FF.

It seems like the Flatpak FF works in its ‘sandbox’ and doesn’t see environment. For example path to the file on my desktop it shows like
file:///run/user/1000/doc/b37da41d/index.html

Your new profile folder likely is in the ~/.var/ folder and not where that above article references.

2 Likes

Thank you! I managed to import cookies.