Mhwaveedit (GTK2 Audio editor) for Flathub

mhwaveedit is a GTK2 audio editor that is surprisingly easy to use. It’s biggest flaw is not having a single window mode, but other then that it is great for quick edits and extremely light weight. I am a fan of it. I am worried that the GTK2 framework is going to be dropped soon, so I hope flatpak can save these apps. (It is still in current repos btw)

Consider making a flatpak of mhwaveedit and hopefully the team ports it to GTK3.

There you go, https://github.com/fastrizwaan/mhWaveEdit_flatpak

build and test and confirm please!

I am testing it now. At the moment I am waiting for GTK2 stuff to compile.

I ran flatpak-builder --user --install --force-clean build-dir io.github.mhWaveEdit.yml and it started compiling, but at the end I got

and got

Warning: eu-elfcompress not installed, will not compress debuginfo
stripping /home/USERNAME/Downloads/mhWaveEdit_flatpak/.flatpak-builder/rofiles/rofiles-JluFeg/files/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libadwaita.so to /home/USERNAME/Downloads/mhWaveEdit_flatpak/.flatpak-builder/rofiles/rofiles-JluFeg/files/lib/debug/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libadwaita.so.debug
Error: module gnome-themes-extra: Failed to execute child process “eu-strip” (No such file or directory)
USERNAME@Bionic:~/Downloads/mhWaveEdit_flatpak$ ls
build build-dir io.github.mhWaveEdit.yml README.md
USERNAME@Bionic:~/Downloads/mhWaveEdit_flatpak$ flatpak run io.github.mhWaveEdit
error: app/io.github.mhWaveEdit/x86_64/master not installed
USERNAME@Bionic:~/Downloads/mhWaveEdit_flatpak$

it builds fine on Debian x86_64, what’s your distro?

customized Linux Mint 19.2 64bit, (which is based on 18.04 LTS bionic beaver)

but I am running the latest flatpak (Flatpak 1.10.1)
via a PPA.

Here’s the flapak built from the code https://github.com/fastrizwaan/mhWaveEdit_flatpak/raw/main/mhWaveEdit.flatpak

Success, it is working and I did a test mp3 edit successfully.

1 Like

Wow, I did not know that It could not only edit WAV but also MP3, OGG, AIFF, AU, FLAC and more! It is really a good old software, should be in Flathub. Small yet useful.

1 Like

This will give the developers more time to port the software to GTK3, as opposed to it just discontinuing because it cannot keep up with upstream.

Could you please rebuild again, I’ve updated the yml file.
flatpak-builder --user --install --force-clean build-dir io.github.mhWaveEdit.yml

I’ve added
default-branch: stable
separate-locales: false

Okay, I built the latest successfully.

One thing I noticed is that when I open another instance of mhwaveedit flatpak, it does not allow me to paste audio data from one instance to another. The work around is to drag and drop an audio file into the original; which will open a new window, or open another audio file with the file picker.

Also we need to make sure people know this can edit mp3, wav, and ogg not just wav.

That’s the limitation of Flatpak sandbox for security reasons. GTK4 is supposed to fix that. Let’s hope good quality software like this will be ported to GTK4. I believe so it will be sooner than later as every year new Computer Science graduates join the Freesoftware / OSS community.