Missing app icon

I’m the mantainer of Converter NOW, I published it on flathub few weeks ago. But I noticed a problem with the icon of the app. The icon in the application launcher on my distro is correct. If I open the app, I see the typical X11 icon in the bottom panel. To me it seems that the icon and the .desktop file is correctly installed.

Here is the flathub repo of the app.

1 Like

I’ve installed the application and everything looks Ok to me.
What’s exactly wrong with the icon? Where is it missing?

Here is what I get in the bottom panel:

Screenshot_20220325_135919

It should display the app icon instead of the “X”

The icon displays correctly on GNOME 41, Wayland (Fedora 35):

Which desktop environment are you using? Do you have Wayland or x11?

3 Likes

Thank you for reporting your experience!
I’m currently using KDE plasma. I tried on 2 PCs with different plasma versions (5.22.5 on Kubuntu and 5.24.3 on Endeavour OS) and both X11 and wayland but I always have the same issue.

1 Like

Works for me too on Fedora-35. Shows correctly on the bottom panel and on the Applications menu.

1 Like

I’ve created a Kubuntu 21.10 virtual machine and I can reproduce your issue.
My guess is that KDE is expecting the icon in a different place. Compare ConverterNOW with TextEditor (which displays correctly in KDE):

$ find /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/icons -name io.github.ferraridamiano.ConverterNOW*
/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/io.github.ferraridamiano.ConverterNOW.png

$ find /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/icons -name org.gnome.TextEditor*
/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/org.gnome.TextEditor.svg
/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/icons/hicolor/symbolic/apps/org.gnome.TextEditor-symbolic.svg

So I would use the SVG file (I hope you have it) and install it to .../hicolor/scalable/apps/.

1 Like

Thank you very much @fedelibre! I tried as you said but nothing changed :confused:. Now if you update the app and execute your command you will get this:

$ find /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/icons -name io.github.ferraridamiano.ConverterNOW*
/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/io.github.ferraridamiano.ConverterNOW.svg

Maybe there’s a little improvement: I think that before this change the app icon didn’t show up in the search results and now it does. Do I remember correctly?

Anyway, there’s still the X icon on bottom panel and also the window application (top left).
Try following this discussion:

I think that the problem is that your application has this WM_CLASS (check with xprop command):

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "converternow", "Converternow"

but your app id is io.github.ferraridamiano.ConverterNOW.
Changing the WM_CLASS to the reverse-DNS name in your application should fix the problem.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a little improvement: I think that before this change the app icon didn’t show up in the search results and now it does. Do I remember correctly?

Nope, it’s the same as before :confused:

I think that the problem is that your application has this WM_CLASS

It seems that it is my exact same problem but I don’t understand how can I fix this. How can I change the WM_CLASS? Thank you!

You are using a different app id (com.ferrarid.converternow) in your linux/CMakeLists.txt file.

That may be the cause of the problem.

1 Like

You are using a different app id (com.ferrarid.converternow) in your linux/CMakeLists.txt file.

I tried to change this but the WM_CLASS it’s still the same:
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "converternow", "Converternow"

As your Linux app is using GTK, I think you might get more help from GNOME forums, like https://discourse.gnome.org/