Problem wiith Onionshare

Hi everyone, I’m trying to install OnionShare using flatpak, my operting system is Linux 12 Debian.
In order to do that I installed the installation file .flatpak and then I wrote in the terminal the following lines:

flatpak install flathub org.onionshare.OnionShare

sudo apt update && apt upgrade

Then I tried to start the proggram using the following line:

flatpak run org.onionshare.OnionShare

But the proggram doesn’t start and there is the following lines print on the terminal:

QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
Opening tab in existing OnionShare window (pid 2)

If any of you know what I have to do in order to use the programm it would be helpful.

Best is to report the issue directly with the flathub package:

Chances the maintainer sees it are higher.

I just did this but I don’t think that anybody will answer me.
So if any of you have some advice it would be helpful.
Anyway thanks @hub for your advise.

I found the solution by myself.
In order to open the software it’s necessary to print this command in the terminal:

sudo -i flatpak run org.onionshare.OnionShare

In order to know why it’s necessary to use the command “sudo -i”, print this command in the terminal:

man sudo

In general, most times running stuff with sudo is the wrong (or at least unsafe) solution.

For what it’s worth, the app starts without and elevated rights on fedora.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Do you know how can I do in order to use the software whitout the sudo -i command ?

Do other flatpaks work without sudo? Do you remember how you installed flatpak/flathub?

I’m not sure I can help you, but something seems off / was probably installed with a wrong user.

It is the first and only flatpak that I have, I started using linux only 1 month ago.
Anyway, maybe you have right because it’s probably that I loged me like root when I installed flatpak/flathub.
Do you know how I can check this out ?
Thanks a lot.

I’m not sure how to make sure of that, I would expect some of flatpaks folders to be by the wrong user or at least wrong user rights. But I’m not sure what folder you could look for.

Might be best to just uninstall as root and login to your normal session and install from there according to the setup guide?

1 Like

Ok I’ll try, thanks a lot !