Questions on the Quality Guidelines - Lonewolf

Hi All,

I recently added verification for my app Lonewolf and saw that there are a few quality guidelines which the app is not passing. Some make totally scene to me, others open up some questions.

Doesn’t fill too much or too little of the canvas (Not passed)

How is this determined? The Icon does not fill the icon grid completely and also covers some pixels outside of the grid. very much like the example (bottom right) in the guideline. Is there something like a percentage?

Good contrast on dark backgrounds (Not passed)

The Icon has a black (#000) outline but the content is very light.
My questions here are

• The guideline shows an example (bad) where a part of the overall shape of the icon has very low contrast against a dark background making it hard to recognize the shape. Does this also extend to the outline. which does not change the shape of the icon?
  • Is adding a background shape behind the icon an acceptable solution, I couldn’t find anything about this in the guidelines? Like those: 1, 2 or the icon for net.xmind.XMind (sorry I can’t link to that icon since “New users can not put more than 4 links in a post”)
  • Is there a contrast ratio I should try to accomplish?
  • Bonus question where does the dark background color (#251f32) for the check come from?

Screenshots taken on Linux (Not passed)

I don’t really understand this one, Screenshots are taken with unmodified Plasma decorations. What I’m I doing wrong here?

Default settings (Not passed)

Basically the same questions as above…

Maybe the guideline could provide a list of acceptable DEs, WMs and Themes, isn’t openbox on debian with Onyx-black theme still “Linux”?

Thanks for taking the time to help me get this sorted!

I’m not directly involved with this part of Flathub but my understanding is that many of these checks are actually manually reviewed.

Probably @razzeee and @tbernard can help.

Is there something like a percentage?

No, but it should have a footprint roughly equivalent to the square/circle template shapes. In this case it looks fine though, updated that rating.

Is adding a background shape behind the icon an acceptable solution

Yes, an easy fix is to just use the square or circular base shape as a background for the icon you have.

There isn’t a specific contrast ratio, just make sure the color near the edges of the icon isn’t black or a dark gray :slight_smile:

As for the specific color IIRC that’s the page background on the Flathub website in dark mode (i.e. the color that the app needs to be visible against on e.g. the app details page).

I don’t really understand this one, Screenshots are taken with unmodified Plasma decorations

Looks like a mistake, updated the rating.

Default settings (Not passed)

Not an expert on KDE defaults but looking at kde.org, the window decorations are different (no pin icon on the left).

Defaults are per-environment (i.e. in this case KDE). Distro modifications should be avoided since they’re not what developers are targeting.

Hi tbernard thanks for you detailed response!

updated that rating.

Thank you!

Yes, an easy fix is to just use the square or circular base shape as a background for the icon you have.

There isn’t a specific contrast ratio, just make sure the color near the edges of the icon isn’t black or a dark gray :slight_smile:

I’m not really a designer but I will try to find a way to improve the contrast, thanks for the feedback.

Not an expert on KDE defaults but looking at kde.org , the window decorations are different (no pin icon on the left).

Both of the application screenshots which include window decorations 1 and 2 include the pin. The pin is visible if at least 2 virtual workspace are used, I don’t know what kde intends to be the default there, but I can remove them.

updated the rating.

Thanks again!