Request for OpenRefine

Project information

• Name: OpenRefine. OpenRefine is a powerful free, open source tool for working with messy data: cleaning it; transforming it from one format into another; and extending it with web services and external data.
  • Homepage: openrefine.org.
  • License: BSD-3-Clause license.
  • Upstream has been contacted: Yes, and they like the idea (see also issue 1445).

I took a look at this tool, but it should be a web-app, if I well understand. Isn’t it?
So, why not a docker/podman image instead? Flatpak is intended for desktop tools. I see that different OpenRefine docker distributions already exist.

It is a web app designed to be executed locally. It isn’t possible to build a Flatpak in this case?

Maybe could be wrapped. I tried nativefier without luck. They should adapt it to use something like PWAify, NW.js or appjs?

A Flatpak would be very useful for non-technical users. Is easy for everyone else:

wget "https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/releases/download/3.7.4/openrefine-linux-3.7.4.tar.gz"
tar xzf "openrefine-linux-3.7.4.tar.gz"
cd openrefine-3.7.4/
# Or ./refine -p 3333 -i 0.0.0.0 -m 6000M -d /My/Desired/Folder # pointing to the workspace directory through the -d parameter
./refine # Will open default browser with 127.0.0.1:3333

I created a prototype for the Flatpak app.
Since I’m a Java programmer, I inspected a little the launcher code. I don’t think it’s a good idea to run the browser along with the server.
Anyway it starts, but I didn’t find a way to stop the server once finished.
You can tell the development team to start from this example.
I didn’t test the app at all.
I’ll remove the personal repo one day or another.

2 Likes