Streamlink-twitch-gui

Project information: A multi platform Twitch. tv browser for Streamlink. One of the reasons for having bad viewing experiences on Twitch. tv is the implementation of their resource-heavy website.

Name: streamlink-twitch-gui
Homepage: https://streamlink.github.io/streamlink-twitch-gui/
License: MIT License
Upstream has been contacted: no

2 Likes

This would make the whole installation process of many phases simple. Not only streamlink’s latest version installation on some distros is cumbersome if not impossible, then also the streamlink-twitch-gui is to be installed thereafter. This is plain too much for a new user and there really is no working Twitch app at the moment for Linux.

1 Like

I have attempted to flatpak this. It isn’t possible without rewriting a large amount of legacy code.

Oh my. OK, i hope this changes later on or someone will take on the challenge. Appreciated that you attempted!

I foind out that there actually appears to be a (working?) flatpak for this GitHub - FaithBeam/flatpak-streamlink-twitch-gui - i have contacted the developer on on Github. Maybe this could be cooperated to finally getting it on Flathub? @nullrequest

I have a work around solution for you that I have been using for a while to play twitch content.

Create a python virtual environment

python -m venv streamlinkenv

Activate the venv

source streamlinkenv/bin/activate

Install streamlink module

pip install streamlink

Then edit your .bashrc and add the following aliases:

alias streamlink="~/Scripts/streamlinkenv/bin/streamlink"
alias tw='f(){ streamlink --twitch-api-header Client-ID=ue6666qo983tsx6so1t0vnawi233wa twitch.tv/$1 best -p "flatpak run org.videolan.VLC"; unset -f f;}; f'

(I don’t know if the --twitch-api-header Client-ID=ue6666qo983tsx6so1t0vnawi233wa option is needed anymore, but streamlink broke a few of weeks ago because twitch implemented some stupid changes on their end)

Anyway, after that, you simply open up the terminal and run tw followed by your favorite channel, e.g.
tw bradsgazebo

Enjoy!

Well ok, nice, but you know? -This is exactly quite the opposite of what this thread or topic is aiming at: a simple package install with everything needed on it. A couple clicks to Twitch watching on desktop on Linux as it should be this day and age, right?. Absolutely no terminal, aliases, bash scripts and whatnot … :roll_eyes:

1 Like