Texstudio Install

I’ve installed Texstudio (flatpak) in mint version 5.6.8. Should this application function after install or is there further setup required?

I’m getting the following popup error when building.

Could not start Build & View:PdfLaTeX: flatpak-wrapper pdflatex -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode “document”.tex.

And this is in the message box.

Process started: flatpak-wrapper pdflatex -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode “document”.tex

Portal call failed: Failed to start command: Failed to execute child process “pdflatex” (No such file or directory)

Process exited with error(s)

I think you have to install TeX Live, from the description of TeXstudio:

Requires either TeX Live being installed on the system from your distribution’s repositories or the TeX Live Flatpak which you can install by running ‘flatpak install flathub org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.texlive//22.08’

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I haven’t tried installing yet, but I’ll follow-up when I do.

So in concept, there is a hole in the wrapper to connect these two applications?

I hope to also install the QT Creator flatpak, which I now assume is similar to texstudio? In other words, are the c++ and python compilers outside of the wrapper?

Yes, it’s a hole in the sandbox to provide access to the host system (--talk-name=org.freedesktop.Flatpak in the manifest, Can acquire arbitrary permissions in the permissions of the Flathub page). This completely bypasses the sandbox.

TeXstudio uses a wrapper script which uses the extension if installed or else tries the host system.

It depends on the application. IDEs usually use the Sdk as a runtime which already provide necessary tools, e.g. GCC & Python 3. Additional tools (e.g. LLVM, Rust, Java etc.) can be added via Extensions (try flatpak search Sdk.Extension, mounted at /usr/lib/sdk/, should have an enable.sh script which sets the environment to simplify access to the extension).

But it works as if building a Flatpak application: Any dependency that is not part of the Sdk must be manually build. That’s why many IDEs provide access to the host system.

Access to the host depends on the application:
GNOME Builder has excellent support for this & allows access via the UI.

Others are less integrated & expect you to simply spawn a host terminal, e.g. Visual Studio Code.

Qt Creator doesn’t use this permission & seems to solely rely on the KDE Sdk & it’s extension. Of course, you can add the permission via flatpak override or Flatseal if you wish to.

Installing the texlive flatpak solved my original problem.

To further my own understanding here. I installed the texlive flatpak. Is this the extension you referenced in your second post and why texlive is now listing in response to “flatpak search Sdk.Extension”?

In this instance am I correct in saying, if the Sdk is an extension, then the front-end application doesn’t require access to the host? Where the front-end is Texstudio or an IDE.

Thanks for your time.

Yes, that’s the extension. It actually belongs the Sdk but TeXstudio reuses it altough it’s running with KDE runtime.

I’d say the front-end doesn’t require access to the host (ignoring filesystem permissions here) if the sdk & its extensions provide everything you need. In case of an IDE it could still be easier to just use the host to avoid building all dependencies not provided by the SDK or its extensions.

But I’m not sure what you mean with “the Sdk is an extension”.

You shouldn’t know, this is abstract thought that I didn’t proof. Explaining it won’t be productive. I’m sure there is a guide or manual that can handle my questions from here.

Thanks for helping me setup.